Booting SunOS 4.0 singlu user (was Re: NFS security)

Robert C. White Jr. rwhite at nusdhub.UUCP
Tue Sep 13 06:30:29 AEST 1988

in article <12397 at duke.cs.duke.edu>, ndd at romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) says:
> If I understand what you've described, the only way to protect a
> workstation from someone booting it single user is to deny root
> the ability to log in on that workstation. Doesn't sound very elegant
> to me.

Actually, I don't see what would be wrong with
requiring a user to log in as themselves and
then su to root.

That way you would have some record of who did
what when.  Of course a smart little sniper would
just empty/edit sulog, but making only normal logins
legal, and then allowing su generally makes sense to
me.

Rob.