What differentiates a Workstation from a PC (Re: What should GNU run on (was Re: what kinds of things . . .))

ody davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Thu Aug 17 03:56:20 AEST 1989

In article <12035 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[mav]) writes:

| A 25Mhz '386 AT&T box running X windows is slower than
| a Sun 3/60 running NeWS, yet the '386 has more raw cpu power.  I
| believe this is due to the above mentioned differences in the way the
| graphics boards work.

  I don't know who's X you were looking at, but I don't think that's a
general characteristic. I have seen the INteractive X and it is so much
faster than a 3/60 (or Sun 4, for that matter) that it looks like a
canned demo. Since I was telling the demo person what to type I'm sure
it was really doing the commands.

  I agree that there are some versions of X which are (a) old and (b)
slow. Hear me, SCO??
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen