What should GNU run on (was Re: what kinds of things . . .)

T B A L RUSOFFMH at ctrvx1.vanderbilt.edu
Fri Aug 11 18:49:35 AEST 1989

There are really several issues involved in the selection of a platform.
Part of the point of writing a kernel in a high level language is that
it really should not matter what platform you develop on.

One of the things that everyone forgets is that in "cloning" UNIX, it is not
necessary to duplicate its structure. Many operating systems have been
produced that have a more rational structure. Among them is Mach.
Another is Amoeba. Both are very portable, and both support virtual
memory. While GNU OS has to "look" like UNIX, it does not have to "be" like
UNIX.

Perhaps, if RS could send out his basic ideas on what the kernel structure
should be and we all could comment...

Anyway, if you have to pick a platform, select systems that are based on
chips with MMUs, select systems that have been around long enough for
programmers to really understand them. Choose cheap systems that have
inexpensive compilers. This essentially means 68030, 803/4/86 or
88000. One forward looking choice might be the 860. It holds the
promise of inexpensive workstations and shares the 386 MMU (kind of).

Probably, the 386 family offers the best immediate choice. It is, sadly,
brain damaged, but then no one ever said anything was perfect...