chown (was: at files and permissions)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Tue Aug 1 23:36:29 AEST 1989

In article <20461 at adm.BRL.MIL>, rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
> ? From: Peter da Silva <peter at ficc.uu.net>

> ? When I type 'cd //oldsys/path; find . -print | cpio -pvd //newsys/path'
> ? I want file ownerships to be maintained.

> Great. Do it as root. Tar only does this as root.

So, I tell everyone on the system who might want to do this that they're
not to be trusted to copy directory trees around our network. I really
appreciate the extra work this would put on the support group, too.

Or do you mean I should make cpio setuid-root. :->

And, hey, replying in mail and posting an article is kind of weird.
Business: peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "The sentence I am now
Personal: peter at sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  writing is the sentence
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  you are now reading"