getty, login and a trivia

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov
Thu Aug 17 08:03:31 AEST 1989

? From: Matt Goheen <matt at srs.uucp>

? While snooping around, I found a couple of interresting things about
? login and getty that (at least) I didn't know.  In getty, there is
? a string "Amnesiac" -- anyone know what that's for?

main(argc, argv)		/*getty*/
	char *argv[];
{
	gethostname(hostname, sizeof(hostname));
	if (hostname[0] == '\0')
		strcpy(hostname, "Amnesiac");
}

? In login, there
? are a couple of apparent undocumented options, "-h" and "-r".  I
? can't seem to get "-h" to do anything, but a "/bin/login -r" does
? some strange things (no prompts, and an error message that reads
? "remuser too long" after about 8 characters on stdin).

/*
 * login [ name ]
 * login -r hostname (for rlogind)
 * login -h hostname (for telnetd, etc.)
 */
	/*
	 * -p is used by getty to tell login not to destroy the environment
	 * -r is used by rlogind to cause the autologin protocol;
	 * -h is used by other servers to pass the name of the
	 * remote host to login so that it may be placed in utmp and wtmp
	 */

? - uucp:		{rutgers,ames}!rochester!srs!matt	Matt Goheen
? - internet:	matt at srs.uucp OR matt%srs.uucp at harvard.harvard.edu	-
? - 	"We had some good machines, but they don't work no more."	-

? BTW, this is on a Sun running 3.2 (and 3.4), and I have NO UNIX
? SOURCE LICENSE..

Too bad.

	Root Boy Jim
	Have GNU, Will Travel.