hard disk as archive

tawab at net4.UUCP tawab at net4.UUCP
Thu Aug 10 06:25:50 AEST 1989

/* Written  1:45 pm  Aug  6, 1989 by ron at mlfarm.UUCP

>I would appreciate advice on using a second hard disk as a backup
>device.  (This is not a "mirroring" setup.)  The first hard disk is
>divided into two file systems: root and /dev/u.  The second hard disk
>is a single system: /dev/archive.  Can and/or should I use the restore
>and backup commands?  Cpio?  Or should I use the copy command to
>create a copy of the root and /dev/u filesystems on /dev/archive?

about 6 months agow we had harddisks for backup, and we used `cpio'. I
think it's ok because it takes the file-structure and keep's the
ownership of the file. I guesse dump would do the same thing if you
only have one filesystem to be copied, we had about 100 filesystems and
so we used cpio, but you have to find out first if /dev/AA has enough space
to take /dev/XX. (Was not easy to write a Intelligent sh-script (whith awk)
to find out which filesystem should be copied to where?!. If you have
more then one filesystem and you are interrested in the program just send
me a mail.

Robin

Robin Tawab                            |  I don't know where I'm going,
NIXDORF COMPUTER AG                    |  but I'll be the first.
Dep DTSW 2-4                           |
Berliner Str. 95                       |  Has anyone read my question
D-8000 Munic (West Germany)            |  "How to close a Socket Quickly"
Tel.: xxx-89/3601-3171                 |  in comp.unix.qustions ????
eunet: tawab.muc at nixpbe.UUCP           |
!USA: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!tawab.muc     |
USA:  uunet!linus!nixbur!tawab.muc     |