dbx question?

Howard Siegel 4-2390 x4064 hsiegel%piano.prime.com at relay.cs.net
Thu Aug 10 01:13:25 AEST 1989

R. Bruce Rakes <rr5 at prism.gatech.edu> asked (8 Aug 89 14:29:59 GMT):
> I have been perusing all the dbx documentation that I can get my
> hands on looking for a means of printing the range of an array, i.e.
> I wish to print only the values between a start and end index, NOT
> the entire array.  I also do not wish to print each value one at a
> time.  As far as I can tell, dbx only allows me these two options.
> Now sdb allows this by separating the start and end index with a
> semicolon.  Does anyone know of an equivalent for dbx?  This seems
> to be its major deficiency.

I use the following aliases in my .dbxinit to dump <2nd arg> values
from the start of the C array named <1st arg>.
   alias F "&(\!1[0])/\!2 F"
   alias D "&(\!1[0])/\!2 D"
   alias X "&(\!1[0])/\!2 X"
For Fortran arrays the [0] would need to be replaced by [1].  A fairly
obvious minor kind of modification would be to write (for instance)
   alias X "&(\!1[\!2])/\!3 X"
to dump the <3rd arg> values from offset <2nd arg> in array <1st arg>.
I've used the first three aliases; the third is just speculation.

Howard Siegel                   hsiegel at piano.prime.com
Prime/Computervision            hsiegel at primerd.prime.com
Bedford, Mass.                  hsiegel%piano.prime.com at RELAY.CS.NET
(617) 275-1800 x4064            cvbnet!hsiegel at primerd.prime.com