validating dumps

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Sun Aug 13 10:38:45 AEST 1989

In article <1989Aug12.063242.544 at algor2.uu.net> jeffrey at algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
>I have always simply reread the tape's table of contents.  Does anyone
>have experience of this failing?  "Fail" is defined here as a
>successful read of the table of contents where the tape's contents
>were bad.

Yes, too many times to count.

In particular, I've gotten 'missing address/header block' errors from
dump [ restor ] quite often on tapes which tested quite okay.

I'd love to catagorically state this is a bug in dump, but I've never
bothered to track it down since cpio works ...
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the month club: ------------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | "Chocolate Teddy Grahams are just