Retrieving network information from the kernel

Mark Andrews mark at alias.UUCP
Fri Aug 18 06:18:43 AEST 1989

Our company has a number of 4D's using NFS. We would like to write a tool
which monitors traffic on the network. Is there a way to determine the
correct interface, then read the actual ethernet packets from the interface.
I just took a look at LBL's tcpdump program which was written on a sun and
uses the nit(4) interface. It would be nice to have something like that on
the 4D's which support several types of ethernet interfaces (enp, ec, ...).

If there is a common kernel symbol used by the network code, I could always
nlist() the kernel and read the packets from the appropriate location, but
I gather it is not that easy.

					Thanks for any info,

						Mark
	Mark Andrews