What should GNU run on

James Van Artsdalen james at raid.dell.com
Tue Aug 8 15:43:56 AEST 1989

In <20528 at adm.BRL.MIL>, keith at fstohp.lynn.ge.com (Keith D Gregory) wrote:

> But is it going to be that easy to throw away history, such as GCC et al?  If
> GCC was written to produce optimal code for the VAX/68000 (dare I say PDP-11)
> style architecture, will it transport well to the Intel architecture?

Sigh.  Look before you leap...  gcc works fine on the 386.  It is
competitive with the commercial compilers I have examined.  The only
weak spot is in floating point support: the FP half of the *86
architecture is stack (as opposed to the conventional integer half).
gcc works with 386 FP, it's just not fast.  Fortunately this affects
very few people.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james at raid.dell.com       "Live Free or Die"
DCC Corporation       9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759       512-338-8789