Portable mknod ?? does it exist?

Darrell Schiebel drs at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu
Wed Aug 2 00:19:05 AEST 1989

In article <14020069 at hpisod2.HP.COM>, decot at hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
> HP 9000 Series 800 (HP-UX 3.1)
>    mknod works fine
>    read blocks
>
> What release were you using?

Here is the Release and The Run of the Code as Posted

HP-UX holly A.B3.01 B 9000/835

Welcome to HP-UX on the Series 800.   [HP Release A.B3.00.5B]

hp: hpnod
ERRNO: 22
writer: mknod failed: Invalid argument

> Note, though, that the use of the constant 0010000 is not guaranteed to
> be portable; you should really be using the macro S_IFIFO from
> <sys/stat.h> instead.

I agree, but I wanted to make sure everything was correct, which is the reason
the constant 0010000 was used.  The code (including constant definition)
was taken directly from an example program in an HP manual (then altered for
debugging).

(HP 9000 Series 800: Programmer Series; Real-Time Programming Manual.
 Manual Part #: 92453-90003, Page: 10-11)

Darrell Schiebel
Concurrent Engineering Research Center

drs at cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu