lpd clipping files

Brian V. Smith envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov
Wed Aug 16 03:30:20 AEST 1989

<
< We at Cayman Systems are having an unusual problem: when printing large
< files (900K) to a LaserWriter connected by serial line to a Sun 386i
< running OS4, the file is truncated to about 600K (approx. 80 pages).
< We have heard that lpd will clip files to 1MB.
<

lpd will clip files to the limit specified for any printer in /etc/printcap.
e.g.  mx#1024  will limit files to 1 Megabyte.
The limit is optional, and if not specified then there is no limit.