8mm tape length for dump

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Thu Aug 17 02:22:19 AEST 1989

In article <18999 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy (Chris Torek) writes:
| In general, however, the average installation has less disk data
| to back up than fits on a single one of these cartridges, so any
| length close to infinity suffices.  We have been using the command
|
| 	dump 0ufds /dev/tape/1n 6250 32000 <filesystem>
|
| but the 32000 here is just a WAG, and depends on this `infinite
| length' property.

Our vendor told us to use 43000 for a density and 120000 for a length
(for a 2-hour tape).  That works out to about 1.3 GBytes (roughly
infinity, yep :-).

Just another system hacker,
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA                           |