PASSWORD GUESSING

Kemp at DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL Kemp at DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL
Mon Aug 21 10:28:32 AEST 1989

Chris Torek writes:
 > I am a bit surprised that someone at NCSC would suggest this without
 > at least a caveat.

Chris is absolutely correct here (as usual).  One should not just take
any program for password generation (like you might find on a unix
archive) and blindly trust that it will actually generate good random
passwords.  I was extrapolating from the Multics and VMS programs, which
presumably use decent algorithms and have been verified by computer
security experts.

I also did not include a very important disclaimer:

"Although this message was posted from a NCSC machine, it's contents do
not reflect the views of anyone but the author, who is not in any sense
an authority on computer security."

    Dave Kemp <Kemp at dockmaster.ncsc.mil>

P.S.  Several people have sent mail asking where password generating
programs might be found.  I have no idea; just a vague memory of having
seen references to them.