Trashed Disk Labels Under Sun OS 3.5

Anthony A. Datri datri at concave.uucp
Fri Aug 11 01:36:43 AEST 1989

>How come when I mount all of the disk as swap or anything in an 'a'
>partition on a local Micropolis 1355 disk connected to one of our
>clients the disk label gets trashed?

Sun's RTF or release notes document this -- the label occupys the
first sector (track?) on the disk, and using the normal a partition
as swap overwrites it; it seems that the filesystem code skips over it.
Their solution is to make a 1 cylinder a partition, then have b go
from there to the end of the disk, and use b for swap.  I suspect that
making the label with the a parititon starting at cylinder 1 instead of
0 would work as well.