killing bkgnd process on logout (was: Re^2: Checking for new mail)

Bruce Walker bmw at isgtec.UUCP
Thu Aug 31 22:29:57 AEST 1989

In article <92 at harald.UUCP> jba at harald.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) writes:
>>In article <128 at isgtec.UUCP> bmw at isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:
>>[ in BSD systems ]
>>the process
>>disconnects from your tty and continues running ...
>
>This has nothing to do with BSD vs Sys V.
>
>        [CSH man page excerpt deleted]

Well, it sort-of does.  Csh's under SysV are usually sub-sets of full-blown
BSD csh's, and don't behave the same.

I am using csh as implimented by Convergent Technologies' CTIX (essentially
SysV) and csh as implimented by Sun (4.0.1).

If I run my checkmail process in the background from CTIX csh, then log out,
checkmail dies.  If I do that on Sun csh, it behaves as your man page
suggests (ignores SIGHUP).  I suspect that other SysV csh's also behave more
like sh(1) than BSD csh in this regard.
--
Bruce Walker                          ...uunet!mnetor!lsuc!isgtec!bmw
"Better Living Through Connectivity"         ...utzoo!lsuc!isgtec!bmw