Capturing lp output

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu Aug 10 16:10:00 AEST 1989

In article <Aug.9.14.39.48.1989.15542 at paul.rutgers.edu> wacey at paul.rutgers.edu ( ) writes:

> I want to capture the output of lpr requests under SunOs. I have come
> up with two ways of doing this: use an of filter to redirect the
> output or write a psuedo device drive to capture the output. Can
> anyone tell me what the best way to do this is.

Well, why and to what end?  Testing?  re-spooling for offine output?

using some varient of:
#! /bin/sh -
cat >> file

as a filter program, with /dev/null is fairly effective.

specifying a pre-existing disk file as an output device
might be fun, if it's a one-shot debugging sort of thing.

specifying a named-fifo/pipe as an output device might also
work, with a transcription program listing to the other end
of the fifo.

You might also be able to play games with providing a remote
printer "service" in place of the supplied on that stashed away
print requests...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net