Spanning file across disk partitions.

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Mon Aug 21 12:23:37 AEST 1989

>I have an application which writes large amounts of data
>to a disk file. At times the file tends to exceed the disk
>partition, resulting the application to crash.  Is there a
>way to span the output file across different disk partitions
>(which may be on the same or seperate physical disks) ?
>
>Application is in C and Fortran running under Unix (SunOS 4.0.3).
>
>thanks in advance,
>-Anil.

Some other Unix versions have added this (well, indirectly, through
disk striping) but in general, no. You'll have to manage this yourself
by closing and opening new files (or buying a bigger disk :-)

--
	-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202
Internet: bzs at skuld.std.com
UUCP:     encore!xylogics!skuld!bzs or uunet!skuld!bzs