help installing GNU c complier

BoB Miorelli miorelli at pwa-b.UUCP
Wed Aug 30 23:28:42 AEST 1989

I have GNU C, gcc, and have installed it and have it running on a
VAX 750, 4.3 BSD.  My problem is installing it on a SUN386.

Details:
Sun 386, SunOS 4.0.1 (SDST386)
gcc-1.35
gas-1.34

I did the config.gcc using the option 'sun386', and did the make
to compile the compiler using Sun's cc.  All went well.  I then
did all of the stuff in the READNE-ENCAP file in binutils to
de-COFF the library files.  I think I did it all OK.  I did the
'make stage1'.  All went well.  finally,

make CC=stage1/gcc CFLAGS="-g -O -Bstage1/"

(actually, I used both -g and -g -v).  gcc-as gives errors of the
sort:

version.c:3:Unknown pseudo-op

This, of course, is fatal.  I assume that I did something wrong somewhere
but I'm unable to find it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, thanks in advance.

--

-->BoB Miorelli, Pratt & Whitney Aircraft
           also, H & R Block tax preparer and Instructor