TCP/IP on System V/386 & STREAMS

Randall Atkinson randall at uvaarpa.virginia.edu
Sun Aug 6 05:45:18 AEST 1989

In article <8908051908.AA12163 at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,
	 dcrocker at AHWAHNEE.STANFORD.EDU (Dave Crocker) writes:
>There is no standard for mapping TLI calls into TCP operations.  Each
>supplier of SVR3(Streams) TCP is likely to have somewhat different
>interface functionality or calling sequences.

I understand that AT&T UNIX System V Release 4 will provide
tcp/ip support.  I have heard that a Berkeley-style sockets
interface implemented via STREAMS will be provided and I'm
sure that a TLI/STREAMS interface will also be provided.

I think that the System V.4 mapping of TLI calls to
TCP will become a "de facto" standard.  Certainly, I
hope so (in large part because I believe that sockets
'know too much' and want to see the cleaner TLI/STREAMS
approach be more widely used).

What I've heard about V.4 is from what I consider reliable sources,
but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.