Ulimit on V/68 (Was: Re: B News 2.11 forgeting artciles)

Kent Forschmiedt kent at happym.wa.com
Thu Aug 31 07:37:44 AEST 1989

In article <840 at happym.wa.com> I explained some about changing V/68
kernel parameters and linking the kernel (a similar process is used by
many vendors' versions).  I forgot to mention how to install it.

I don't know if you can just "cp unix131_3 /unix" - don't try it.

Instead:

# cp unix131_3 /newunix     # The bootloader won't handle uppercase letters!!!
# chmod o-w /newunix		# but it needn't be +x
# cd /
# /etc/shutdown
 .
 .
 .
Hit the reset button on the machine...
130Bug>bo,,newunix
 .
 .
 .
If it works, everthing will come up and look normal.  If it doesn't, reboot
with "bo" to use your old kernel.

Different distributions have somewhat different /stand directories.  My
system keeps its kernels in /stand/m68k/kernels.  Anyway, find your
"kernels" directory...

# cd /
# mv unix oldunix
# ln newunix /stand/m68k/kernels
# ln newunix unix
# ln unix /stand

Keep all of your kernels in /stand/m68k/kernels, keep a link to a
trusted one and experimental one(s) in /.  You needn't name the kernel
/unix for the bootloader to work, since you can tell it any name you
want to, but ps(1) won't work unless /unix is identical to the running
kernel.  I forget why there is supposed to be a link in /stand - maybe
some utility expects to find it there.

Other notes...
If you are worried that your new kernel might blow up (especially if you
have installed a new driver), change the initdefault entry in
/etc/inittab to bring the system up in "s" single user mode instead of
"2" multiuser. It will come up with no getty's and no filesystems
mounted (except the root).  You can then goof around with it and try to
break it without too many variables and risk to your filesystems.
--
 kent at happym.wa.com, uunet!nwnexus!happym!kent, Happy Man Corp 206-282-9598