Out of inodes. SunOS4.0, gripe.

Todd Sandor todds at faerie_queene.UUCP
Fri Aug 11 00:53:36 AEST 1989

In article <FLEE.89Aug4114513 at shire.cs.psu.edu> flee at shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) writes:
+Ran out of inodes yesterday on our /usr/spool partition.  A painful
+experience.
+The reason it's 6.25kbytes per inode is the (historical) maximum
+inodes per cylinder group is 2048, and cylinder groups are 14mbytes.
+Cylinder groups are that large because, (a) there are 27 * 67 sectors
+per cylinder, (b) there are 16 sectors per block, therefore (c) you
+need 16 cylinders to fit an even number of blocks without wastage.
+Unworkarounds are (a) decrease block size (SunOS wants at least 8K),
+(b) increase MAXIPG from 2048 (no kernel source), (c) allow wastage in
+cylinder groups (ditto).
+Workarounds?
We ran into the same problem here, and got a Workaround from
Sun on this, but we were 'lucky' (didn't have do the workaround)
in that we ran into other problems with the same drive and got the disk
replace with Hitachi drive (if wanna call it lucky you need a disk
replaced).  Anyway you should be able to get the Workaround Description
from Sun (reference BugTraq 1008866).  The workaround would be a royal
*pain*, as what you do is repartition the drive to reduce the
number of sectors per track from 67 to 64, which mean backup/reload,
and if its the drive with the root and usr partitions on it, then your
in for some fun :-)....(Should be possible though by running the server
as a workstation and doing the work, again great fun...).
The disk capacity stays the same (gets extra from the 60 "spare" tracks
on the NEC), but..... I'm just glad I didn't have to do it, good luck bud...
Get the Workaround description from Sun for the details.
--
Todd Sandor         Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 2704  P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated FAX: (613) 738-0002             3755 Riverside Dr.