Help on serial driver under SUNOS 4.0

Bernard Lee blee at grads.cs.ubc.ca
Thu Aug 3 04:27:45 AEST 1989

Hi experts out there,

I was trying to get a synchronous serial device driver to work under
SUNOS 4.0.  The driver was running on SUNOS 3.5, but when I tried to
compile the driver under the 4.0 kernel, it hangs at boot time.

kadb reveals that it hangs in a revarp_myaddr() call when mounting
the nfs root.  The parameter passed to the revarp call is a pointer
to an ifnet structure that the driver had initialized and attached
through ifattach().  Obviously revarp has turned to my serial driver
instead of ethernet, so it got nothing and hangs.

I did not find any entries in the ifnet queue that refers to ethernet.
Where is the ifnet structure of the on board ethernet stored?
Does the kernel automatically go to the ifnet structures instead of the
onboard ethernet connector if one is attached?
Or have I done something wrong with the initialization of the ifnet
structure at attach time which just happened to get way in SUNOS 3.5?

-- I am just a poor little programmer who started working two months ago.
-- We do not have a source liscence to SUNOS 4.0.
-- I already gave up hope of finding help locally.
-- The SUN manual says: "Finally, this manual doesn't discuss the issues
   relevant to serial communications and local network interface drivers
   ...you'll need a source liscence to go it alone".

"To err is human.  To really foul things up requires a computer."
							- ???
Bernard P. Lee
Department of Computer Science,
University of British Columbia.