Unix network security

Randall Atkinson randall at uvaarpa.virginia.edu
Fri Aug 18 23:35:33 AEST 1989

In article <4614 at thor.acc.stolaf.edu>,
	mike at thor.stolaf.edu (Mike Haertel) writes:

>If many people would put "*" in their hypothetical .netaccess files
>(and I am certainly among those who would) then attempting to restrict
>network logins in such a way is not a good idea to begin with.  Clearly,
>systems should be designed to facilitate peoples' preferred ways of
>working.  It is better to have to occasionally find and deal with a bad
>guy than to cripple everyone just on the offhand chance that a bad guy
>might cause trouble.

In short, you are saying that since you won't use a method of
improving security yourself that no one should use that method.

I disagree strongly.  If there were such a mechanism to restrict the
origin of telnet sessions to my accounts, I would use it.  Your
non-use of the mechanism is not sufficient grounds to say that
such a mechanism shouldn't exist.  On the other hand, if you
have an idea for a better mechanism, many of us would like
to hear about it.