NFS Performance Problems

grant grant at steven.COM
Sat Aug 12 08:50:11 AEST 1989

      HELP!  Once upon a time, we had an environment,  consisting of
   Sun 3/xxx and running Sun O/S 3.x and NFS.  Performance was very
   good then.  Our benchmarks showed that NFS performed favorably
   as compared to physical disks.  Since that time, we have added
   Sun 4/xxx, Tektronix unix workstations, Intergraphs, a Stellar,
   Hp 800's ....  Now I find the network is painfully slow.  I have
   checked for network saturation, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
   I don't know what to try.  Is there any information available on
   tuning a NFS environment?  How many disks can I reasonable cross
   mount.  Are there any good tricks?
--
Grant Peterson
Sierra Geophysics, Inc .