UNIX to VMS-MAIL

WSHB employee michaelb at wshb.UUCP
Sat Dec 16 08:59:41 AEST 1989

Help.

I'm trying to find a way to automate sending and getting mail between an
SCO XENIX machine and a DEC VMS machine. The guys on the VMS end are very
tight with access to the machine and require me to figure out a way to
do everything by interfacing with the VMS MAIL utility. I've been trying to
figure out a way to use cu under the control of some input script but
find myself pretty much over my head.

The problems as I see them are:
1: Turning control of cu over to another program after it is started. I
	can't figure out if this is a good idea even if it is possible.
	If it isn't then I would have to start cu with the standard input
	redirected to some control script. That leads to:

2: If I use something like awk or m4 ( neither of which I am good with )
	then I will have to set their input to the tail of some file I
	have tee'd out from cu. But that file won't exist until I start
	cu with tee.

I seem to be in a circular situation. I guess I could write something in
C which would work fine and run forever, but I'm not much of a C programmer
either. Mostly I get things working others have written, not write them
myself.

If anyone has any experience with this type of stuff some help would be
greatly appriciated.

As always, send e-mail and I'll summerize to the group.

--
Michael Batchelor -- Systems/Operations Engineer
WSHB - An International Broadcast Station of