Software Serial Number

Admin-P.L. Aeten root at oid.UUCP
Mon Dec 25 07:52:58 AEST 1989

Is there any a to read the Software Serial number for an AT&T
3B2/600 or up?

The serial number is I believe kept on the FIRMWARE Proms and
is accessible via the "version" cmd in firmware mode.  This is
okay if you are able to bring the system down but in most cases
is unacceptable to our users. What we'd like to do is read the
serial number and write it to a file.

I have used the following code fragment to VERIFY it but what
is needed is a way to read the serial number during a soft-
ware installation. The code relies on the header "sys3b.h" and
the "CHKSER" command:

#include <sys/sys3b.h>

main()
{
int serial = 0x8Bytenum;	/* From Firmware command: version */

	if(sys3b(CHKSER, serial) == 0)
		printf("%x CPU Serial Number\n", serial);
	else
		printf("Serial number and Software Load does not match: %x\n", serial);
		.
		.
		.
		.
}

Any suggestions ???
--
P. L. Aeten

{attmail,dsinc,lsicom2,netsys,lll-winken}oid!paeten
Bus [215-574-4400 ext 4477] or Home [215-461-5540]