WANTED: IBM SNA <-> UNIX Connection

Wayne D. Johnson johnson at ncrons.StPaul.NCR.COM
Fri Dec 8 07:38:59 AEST 1989

In article <378 at ixos.UUCP> snoopy at ixos.UUCP (Snoopy Schmitz) writes:
>Dear Net,
>
>we are looking for ways to connect UNIX machines to "the IBM world".
>That is something for UNIX that will plug into SNA etc. This something
>should preferably be software perhaps also some hardware.
>
>Are there any products you can recommend ?

I have used RJE on both a NCR Tower and on Suns.  Both allow the user
to transmit and submit a job on MVS.  This seems to work very well and
most of our use is in doing file transfers (submit a job that copies a
included file to disk with iebgener) and printing (use a similar job
to copy your file to the laser print sysout).  Its not very good at binary
files.  You need to use a RS232/RS448 line to do this (9600-56kbaud).

>I guess one idea is to use NFS and AIX, or PC-NFS on Mush-DOS but what I
>really need is link (channel) to IBMs big iron under VM etc.

There is also rumored, a Sun product that includes a VM system in their NFS
network via TCP-IP.  Never seen it used though.

--
Wayne Johnson         |  Is a baby's life worth more than the right to
NCR Comten, Inc.      |  make a choice?  Babies are people too.