ATT Starlan & init 6

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Dec 29 03:22:14 AEST 1989

In article <21885 at adm.BRL.MIL> AGRISCS at umcvmb.missouri.edu (Don Ingli) writes:
>I am having problems with my ATT 3b2/400 during an INIT 6..

>Diags fail when I have the cables in the NAU card.  When I pull the cables
>out and do an INIT 6, everything works fine...  What gives??

If you mean the machine won't do a graceful shutdown, the problem is
the inittab entry for admdaemon.  Change it to:
sl:0123456:respawn:/usr/slan/lib/admdaemon
  and rfs will be able to shut itself down.  If you ever want to
work in single-user mode you can kill it manually.

If you mean that the machine won't come up with the wires connected
then it's a cabling problem.   Be sure you don't have any
unterminated runs,  all OUT's go to IN's, and the wire is the correct
type (unshielded twisted pair - the twist is important).  It may also
be a bad crimp on one of the modular connectors.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us