ftw (Joe Pruett's descend).

Mike McNally m5 at lynx.uucp
Tue Dec 19 03:47:12 AEST 1989

tony at oha.UUCP (Tony Olekshy) writes:

>In message <564 at balthmus.tessi.UUCP>, joey at tessi.UUCP (Joe Pruett) writes:
>>
>> A quick hack I've used in a directory traversal program is to use the
>> link count of . to determine how many subdirectories there are.  If .
>> has no subdirectories, then you don't have to stat every file name.

>This is great.
>It's three times faster . . .

I'm going to give this a try in a couple of our utilities.  Of course, if
the tree traversal is supposed to follow symbolic links, you're stuck with
the lstats.  Most of the time it's not a problem.

--
Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems
uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5                    phone: 408 370 2233

            Where equal mind and contest equal, go.