Anonymous FTP logging?

Jamie Zawinski jwz at spice.cs.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 8 18:56:20 AEST 1989

I moderate an anonymous-FTP source code archive, and (just because I'm nosy)
I'd like to be able to find out who is using it.  Since anonymous FTP
asks you to type your real id as a password, I assume this information is
kept around somewhere - where?  Can I read it without root priveleges?

If this isn't possible, then I had another idea that might get me what I
want.  What if I had a program periodically running with a low priority that
waited until there was a process with uid "anon".  Is there then a way to
get (given the pid) the current directory of that anon process, and the name
of the host to which its pty is connected?  Finger and ps get a handle on the
latter information somehow; how?

		-- Jamie