Network Books

Dan Lance drl at corpane.UUCP
Sat Dec 9 05:51:33 AEST 1989

In article <171 at tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> jml at tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) writes:
>Does someone know of a decent book/manual that describes in detail
>how to set up a TCP/IP internetwork? I would like it to describe
>how to use gated and routed, the name server, etc. in some detail
>for a person who has no idea what RIP and HELLO protocols among
>other things are. The man pages aren't much help!

I recommend that you get a copy of Comer's _Internetworking with TCP/IP_.
It covers the theory and practice of TCP/IP internetworking in considerable
detail;  it is clear and concise and useful as both a tutorial and a reference.
Of course,  you will also need a set of the FMs for your system.

Your local computer bookstore should be able to order this book for you.
_Internetworking with TCP/IP:  Principles, Protocols and Architectures_,
Douglas Comer (Prentice Hall:  Englewood Cliffs, NJ), 1988.
ISBN 0-13-470154-2 025.

To give you an idea of what the book covers, here are the chapter titles:
	Introduction and Overview
	Review of Underlying Network Technologies
	Internetworking Concept and Architectural Model
	Internet Addresses
	Mapping Internet Addresses to Physical Addresses (ARP)
	Determining an Internet Address at Startup (RARP)
	Internet Protocol:  Connectionless Datagram Delivery (IP)
	Routing IP Datagrams
	Internet Protocol:  Error and Control Messages (ICMP)
	Protocol Layering
	User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
	Reliable Stream Transport Service (TCP)
	The Core Gateway System (GGP)
	Autonomous Systems and Confederations (EGP)
	Interior Gateway Protocols (RIP, HELLO, GATED)
	Transparent Gateways and Subnet Addressing
	Client-Server Model of Interaction
	The Domain Name System
	Application Level Services
	Internet Research and Engineering Problems

The book also contains a guide to Internet RFCs as well as a useful glossary.
I can't recomment it highly enough for anyone who must set up or maintain
a TCP/IP network of more than trivial size.

>| Michael Lodman               Mike.Lodman at SanDiego.NCR.COM |
>| NCR Corporation  -  Distributed Systems Lab  -  San Diego |
>| 9900 Old Grove Rd.  San Diego, CA.  92131  (619) 693-5353 |

--drl
Dan Lance / Corpane Industries, Louisville, KY / drl at corpane.uucp
--
--drl
Dan Lance / Corpane Industries, Louisville KY