Info on backup to cartridges

Mike McNally m5 at lynx.uucp
Wed Dec 20 09:31:18 AEST 1989

What's a good way of letting dump (4.3BSD) know how much it can write
to a 60meg cartridge tape drive?  I'm using DEI 550 10000ftpi
cartidges, if it matters.

Up till now, I've been saying

    dump 1uds 10000 550 /dev/blah

and that works, but I don't think I'm using anywhere close to the whole
tape.  (I got the above numbers by writing a program to write 20 block
records to the tape until it got an ENOSPC, then took the block count
and divided by 550 or something and rounded way down for safety.  Crude
and stupid, I know, but I don't have much time to devote to these
things.)
--
Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems
uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5                    phone: 408 370 2233

            Where equal mind and contest equal, go.