Secure (regular) Scripts_

Larry Taborek larry at macom1.UUCP
Fri Dec 29 02:41:35 AEST 1989

>From article <2481 at pkmab.se>, by ske at pkmab.se (Kristoffer Eriksson):

> Is there any way to allow a "chroot-ed" user to exchange mail and news
> with the rest of the system? I've tried to come up with a simple solution,
> but failed. The problem is that the spool directories for mail and news
> are not accessible from inside the "chroot-ed" environment.

Try this...

So your chroot-ed (localroot) area has its own spool/mail area
where mail is delivered.  Make a account on the localroot
password file called "up".  Next post a message to up, and in the
subject line put in the mailbox address of the person that you
want it delivered to.  Now write a daemon using sh that is run
from the main root area (so it can look at all the localroot
areas) and have it peek every few minutes into the mail area of
localroot to see if "up" exists, and "up.lock" does not.  If so,
copy the "up" file into /usr/tmp and run a text process program that
will bust up the mail gram into sub mail gram files, addressed to
the old Subject line.  Now remail those sub mail gram files.

Its kludgy, I know, but it should work....

Hope this helps...
--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry at macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive