FCC doing it again...

david newall CCDN at levels.sait.edu.au
Mon Dec 18 22:45:08 AEST 1989

poser at csli.Stanford.EDU (Bill Poser) writes:
> (The theoretically ideal technique [for speech compression in telephone
> systems] is to recognize the speech at the input, transmit codes for the
> recognized segments, and then resynthesize it again. Since speech
> recognition is hard, this kind of compression is hard too.)

What comes out of this "theoretically ideal" technique would sound like me?
Or is it not "theoretically" useful to be able to recognise someone's voice?
Humbug!

David Newall                     Phone:  +61 8 343 3160
Unix Systems Programmer          Fax:    +61 8 349 6939
Academic Computing Service       E-mail: ccdn at levels.sait.oz.au
SA Institute of Technology       Post:   The Levels, South Australia, 5095