rsh does not pass back return code

Ross Parker parker at zaphod.mpr.ca
Thu Dec 7 05:04:26 AEST 1989

> It seems to be pretty common practice to do things like tape backups with
>
>   rsh tapeless /usr/etc/dump ... | dd of=/dev/localtape ...
>
> and just hope that nothing goes wrong with the dump.  Ugh!

If anyone is interested in this specific application (running
remote dumps remotely), I have a a program (rrdump) and associated
daemon (rrdumpd) that will accomplish this. I can package it up
and either post it or mail it to those that are interested.

Disclaimer... it has been tested only on Ultrix and Sun systems.

Ross Parker				parker at mpre.mpr.ca
(604)293-5495				uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker