What should the password/security/userinfo/login system include?

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Dec 11 07:33:13 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec9.053433.5407 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>If they are written to a file that can only be read by root, why
>should I worry about that?  If someone can already get root permissions
>why would they want to know any other passwords?

will the file always be readable by root only?

there is a serious difference between being able to access data
and having root privilege.  unix security is based on your knowing
something, so the information is very valuable.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Things you didn't want to know:------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | In Ham lingo DEC is rot-13 for "Low