FCC doing it again...

George Grimes grimesg at makalu
Wed Dec 6 11:57:42 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec2.070734.3853 at stb.uu.net> michael at stb.uu.net (Michael Gersten) writes:
>This may sound like a dumb question, but...
>
>How can the phone company multiplex any conversation, voice or modem?
>The phone company does not know ahead of time when there will be
>silence on the line, both are sampled at the same frequency, so there
>is the same total amount of data to be sent off, so they should be
>identical for multiplexing purposes, right?
>
>Or am I missing something very important here?
>
>			Michael
Yes, you are missing something very important.  There is no requirement for
predictable periods of silence for multiplexing.  Find a book with a
description of time division multiplexing and read it.

George

Any similarity between my opinion and my employer's is purely coincidental
     and subject to immediate review if you bring it to my attention!

   | DOMAIN: grimesg at sj.ate.slb.com        | George Grimes             |
   | UUCP:   {decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!grimesg | Schlumberger Technologies |
   | INTERNET: grimesg%sjs at sdr.slb.com     | 1601 Technology Drive     |
   | PHONE:(408)437-5305/Fax:(408)453-0137 | San Jose, Ca. 95115       |