Strange file system problems

Roy Smith roy at phri.nyu.edu
Sat Dec 2 12:45:09 AEST 1989

	Twice in the past couple of weeks, the /etc/mtab file has gotten
corrupted on our MtXinu 4.3BSD/NFS Vax.  In both cases, the corruption
consisted of adding a line to the beginning of the file, like this:

----------------
/default/ 100000 20 batcher 0 0
/dev/ra0a / 4.2 rw 7 1
/dev/ra0h /usr1 4.2 rw 1 5
[etc]

	The line looks like a line from our C news (which we just installed
a few weeks ago) /usr/lib/news/batchparms file run through a scanf/printf
cycle with formats of "%s %s %s %s %d %d".  Can anybody figure out how this
might have gotten to be in our /etc/mtab file (which is 644, owned by root)?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"