Problem with pty's losing baud rate on 4.3bsd-tahoe

Marc Lesure system at asuvax.asu.edu
Wed Dec 6 07:18:26 AEST 1989

I'm having a problem with 4.3-tahoe running on a HCX-7.  Every so often
some of the pty ports (i.e., ttypX, ttyqX, etc) seem to go "bad".  On a
"good" port, 'stty' reports the baud rate as 38400.  When the port is "bad",
'stty' reports the baud rate as 0.  This makes vi give you a window size
of 8.  If you do a 'stty X', where X is greater than 1200, vi gives a window
size of 32 (real drag if you're on a vt100).  Different ports go bad with no
obvious pattern and they stay bad until the system is rebooted.  We also are
running 4.3-tahoe on our VAX 780 without this problem.  All terminal sessions
on both machines are over the ethernet via terminal servers, telnet, or
rlogin.  Any ideas?

Marc Lesure / Arizona State University / Tempe, AZ
"Between the world of men and make-believe, I can be found..."
"False faces and meaningless chases, I travel alone..."
"And where do you go when you come to the end of your dream?"

UUCP:       ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure
Internet:   lesure at asuvax.eas.asu.edu