MIPS Chip

John C Whitson KB2GNC jwhitson at wpi.wpi.edu
Thu Dec 14 10:56:04 AEST 1989

	Help! Very quick easy question!!!

	I have a DEC DECStation 3100 running Ultrix, and
	If I do the following:

		cc -S file.c

	I get the associated .s file, the assembly level code.
	In there, there are a large amount of symbols, etc, of
	the format $n, where n is a number. $sp is also referred
	to in the spirit of a stack pointer.

	Could someone help me out by pointing out what the $ symbol
	does here, and how one would recognize a register from a
	local symbol, because the .s file contains both in the same
	context.

	Why on Earth, do you ask, am I looking at .s files? Because
	I am a teaching assistant for a class here at WPI in VAX
	Assembly language, and I wish to illustrate the difference
	between a CISC machine and a RISC machine. I figured, not
	knowing MIPS Assembler, that all I had to do was throw a small
	C file into the compiler, and I could guess at the output.
	Alas, I was wrong. But thanks for helping me out!!