how to stop a uucp call cleanly ?

Perry Hutchison perry at ccssrv.UUCP
Wed Dec 6 18:50:14 AEST 1989

Is there some signal that I can send to uucico to cause it to gracefully
terminate the current call so that the line can be used for other purposes?
By gracefully I mean that it should complete the current file, but not start
any more even though the remote system thinks there are still more files to
be transferred.  (The remaining files can be picked up on a subsequent call.)
I would like for it to take care of any local work, like executing any
pending XQT requests, before terminating.  (It would be nice if it closed
the port first, so that the line could become available before the XQT's had
completed.)

The motivation for this is that calls to our newsfeed frequently seem to last
for several _hours_ (at 2400 BPS) and sometimes we would like to preempt the
modem for uucp work to other sites, without losing anything.  Switching off
the modem or killing the uucico process seems most inelegant, although I'm
told it will not lose data.

This is on SunOS 3.5 with the Sun-supplied uucp, and I have RTFM (although
I may have missed something).  We do not seem to have the uucp source online,
but it may be somewhere on the SunOS distribution tapes.

Mailed replies preferred to conserve bandwidth -- I will summarize.

--
  The "From" address in the header may not work.
  This does:   ... tektronix!sequent!ccssrv!perry