ksh executing a file without read permission

Stephen Vinoski vinoski at apollo.HP.COM
Fri Dec 8 06:15:00 AEST 1989

In article <5516 at hplabsb.HP.COM> quan at hplabsb.HP.COM (Suu Quan) writes:
>Exactly what I want : have a file with permissions --x--x--x
>and have everyone execute it without being able to read it.

Page 237 of the KornShell book says:

  "Shell scripts are carried out as a separate invocation of ksh when:
   - The script has execute permission but does not have read permission."

However, I couldn't get it to work (I'm running ksh88b).

-steve

| Steve Vinoski       | Hewlett-Packard Apollo Div. | ARPA: vinoski at apollo.com |
| (508)256-6600 x5904 | Chelmsford, MA    01824     | UUCP: ...!apollo!vinoski |
| "My second wife isn't even born yet."                                        |