FCC & Modems

Dennis G. Rears drears at pilot.njin.net
Thu Dec 7 05:35:31 AEST 1989

    I called my phone company representative(NJ Bell) the other day and
asked what the rules were on notifying TPC about adding new phones,
answering machines, modems, or other devices to the network.  The
representative had no idea what I was talking about.  He stated that
as far he knew there was no requirement.
  That brought to me an interesting question.  TPC states that the
wiring in your house is the property of the home owner not TPC.  If
that is true why should I have to notify the TPC if I attach
equipment to my own property?
  Getting back to my original question....   How can TPC or the FCC
know if you are using a modem, without violating laws of privacy.
Also, what about hotels who have no idea if their guests are using
faxes, modems, etc?  Also, can someone (maybe Doug) clarify if it
is still a requirement to notify the FCC?  If it is a requirement are
there civil or criminal penalaties?

Dennis

                        Dennis G. Rears
ARPA: drears at ac4.pica.army.mil   UUCP:  ...!uunet!ac4.pica.army.mil!drears
AT&T: 201-724-6639               USPS:  Box 210, Wharton, NJ 07885
Work: SMCAR-FSS-E, Bldg 94, Picatinny Ars, NJ 07806