Looking for 4.3 BSD/ULTRIX a.out and ld detailed information

Gary Tyson tyson at csusac.csus.edu
Tue Dec 12 08:42:57 AEST 1989

	I am looking for information on the operation of the BSD linker
(ld) when dealing with a.out files and libraries.  I have written a small
linker capable of linking 2 or more a.out files without libraries.  This
program appears to work for most cases, however I am having some difficulty
correcting references (via the relocation table) for libc.a modules.

	If anyone knows of a book that covers the BSD a.out format and
processing of the linker, I would appreciate the information.
	If anyone knows of a paper that covers the BSD a.out format and
processing of the linker, I would appreciate the information.
	If anyone knows of a (detailed) writeup that covers the BSD a.out
format and processing of the linker, I would appreciate the information.

	Thanks for any help on the subject.

PS:	Has anyone read the O'Riley (sp?) and Associates book on the COFF
	object format?  If so, do you recommend it?

--

				Gary Tyson
				uucp: ...[!ucbvax]!ucdavis!csusac!tyson