of course!

Joe Pruett joey at tessi.UUCP
Fri Dec 8 12:09:31 AEST 1989

I know this is a GNU-ism, but local variable sized arrays seem
like the best of all worlds.  For example:

isadir(path)
char *path;
{
	char tpath[strlen(path) + 3];

	strcpy(tpath, path);
	strcat(tpath, "/.");
	.
	.
	.
}

It is fairly quick, only uses as much memory as is necessary, and
the storage automatically goes away at the end of the function.
This is one of the best additions to C that I've seen.  It's intuitive,
let's the compiler do the yucky work (alloca is a hack), and add's
a very useful feature.

Yes, 3 should be calculated instead of a constant, but I gotta
have something for people to complain about... :-)