FCC doing it again...

barmar at think.com barmar at think.com
Fri Dec 1 16:40:37 AEST 1989

In article <11721 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>or were you unaware that FCC tariffs require you to
>notify the phone company when you attach a modem to the line?

I thought the only thing you were required to give to the phone company
when attaching a device to a phone line was the ringer equivalence number.
And I think this requirement went away a few years ago, when owners were
given possession of the lines within the building.  Now it's the phone
company's responsibility to safeguard their lines against whatever the user
might attach, and we don't have to tell them what we're doing.  Modem
manuals used to include instructions to call the phone company, but the
last modem I got didn't.

Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar