Password security - Another idea

Dennis Paul Roth roth at macom1.UUCP
Fri Jan 13 08:36:20 AEST 1989

In article <329 at csd4.milw.wisc.edu>, astieber at csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Anthony J Stieber) writes:
> How about this:
> 	Each account has several passwords only one is active
> 	at a time.  On each login the next password (or phrase)
> 	is activated.  An alternative would be that at logout
> 	a password would randomly be chossen and message
> 	refering to that password would be printed for the
> 	user. (stuff deleted - DPR )

Naw, I don't like this idea at all. Too much memory power is required
from the user. There is no way I'm going to remember which password
in the sequence of passwords I used last. I'll end up having to try them
all. I can see myself now, talking to some irate customer over the phone
and trying time after time to get logged on so I can get at the
information he needs. Logins failing and me not knowing if it was
because I typed in the wrong password in the sequence, or the right
password with a typo. If we make the login procedure tough enough
we'll have the ultimate in security, all the info nice and safe
because no one can get logged on to get at it!
--
Dennis Roth     ...grebyn!macom1!roth          Centel Federal Systems
                     roth at macom1.UUCP          11400 Commerce Park Drive