csh in Makefiles

Mark Johnson OPER mj at elmgate.UUCP
Tue Jan 17 00:19:09 AEST 1989

	Well, I tried comp.unix.questions for this one and
	only got one well-intentioned but unusable response;
	so, I guess I'll try here.

	My problem is simple:  I have a friend who is writing
	Makefiles, and for some unknown reason their group
	has decided that Makefiles should run with SHELL set to
	/bin/csh; therefore, all Makefile lines are interpreted
	by csh.  This would be OK with me, except that
	csh requires that "else" and "endif" for multiline
	"if" statements and "end" for foreach and while be
	alone on a line - hard to do in a Makefile.  Does anyone
	have a suggestion as to how to create Makefiles
	written in csh; particularly, how does one use if..else..endif,
	while..end and foreach.. end in this context? Is it impossible?
	"Use the Bourne shell" is the wrong answer - it's not her decision.
	Please respond via email; I'll summarize or forward
	as interest warrants.

	AtDhVaAnNkCsE

Mark A Johnson                                 Eastman Kodak Company - SISD
UUCP: rutgers!rochester!kodak!elmgate!mj
USPS: 222 Norman Road, Rochester NY 14623
WORK: (716) 726-7035
"Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur."