Trojan horse FIX for Rnmail and Pnews

Bill Stewart, usually wcs at alice.UUCP
Tue Jan 24 13:02:13 AEST 1989

In article <6811 at rosevax.Rosemount.COM>, news at rosevax.Rosemount.COM (News administrator) writes:
>                                               If anyone has a vi
> that doesn't understand +set nomodeline[s], they should speak up.

The vi versions 3.7 - 3.9 distributed with 4.1BSD and System V / SVR2 don't!
This means that most people with System V clones (except 386-based) don't.

Modelines were introduced in version 3.7 (October 1981).  Version 3.9
(Feb 1983) is the main terminfo version in AT&T SVR2 releases.
Sometime after that, the folks around netnews decided that modelines
were a security risk, and either were too evil to retain, or at least
something that needs to be optional.  (I've forgotten if 4.2BSD has the fix.)
Unfortunately, the fixes in SVR3 and 4.3BSD differ on whether
nomodelines should have an "s" at the end.

Also unfortunately, many vendors have decided to assign their own
version numbers, so you can't tell what version you have any more.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, att!ho95c!wcs, AT&T Bell Labs Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705